Thursday, February 5, 2009

Page 35 Questions

My father was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease, which involved my entire family, and it happened when I was 12 years old. The issue under discussion is whether or not it is ethical to use stem cells to find a cure for the disease. I want to use stem cells as the pathway for finding a cure for Parkinson's Disease, and potentially the only way. One interpretation says stem cells are good for finding cures for diseases, but the other interpretation says stem cells are unethical because of killing fetuses.
My dad being affected by the disease has caused me to be very involved with wanting a cure. His quality of life has been reduced over the past few years. Finding a cure for the disease is great, but killing a baby is not. People have mixed emotions over abortions, so they will probably have mixed emotions over stem cells. Hopefully stem cells found in the cheek would work, so as to go around the abortion controversy. We should find if cheek stem cells work for finding a cure for Parkinson's Disease, and we should say that a certain amount of research should be done at all times to find a cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment